Medical Expense Tax Credit – Nursing Homes vs. Retirement Homes


Medical Expense Tax Credit – Nursing Homes vs. Retirement Homes

The federal and Ontario governments have tax credits available to taxpayers, including those paid for medical expenses. The Medical Expense Tax Credit (METC) can be claimed for costs associated with nursing and retirement homes that are paid by you or your spouse.

METC claims depend on several factors, including the kind of facility you reside in, your medical condition, the level of your income, and dependency on others.

The differences between a nursing home or long-term care facility and a retirement home can be determined by level of care, cost, and medical situation.

Level of care

A nursing home or long-term care facility is intended for individuals who require significant day-to-day attention and medical care. The facilities have 24-hour nursing care and supervision. A retirement home is for more independent and healthy seniors who need minimum to moderate day-to-day assistance.


Nursing homes or long-term care facilities are more affordable because they are government funded and regulated. Retirement homes in Ontario are private and not typically subsidized by the government.

Medical situation

You may find yourself in one of the following three scenarios when considering what can be claimed:

Disability Tax Credit Certificate

You can obtain a Disability Tax Credit Certificate (DTC Certificate) by filing the T2201 form completed from a medical practitioner, certifying that you have a severe and prolonged impairment in physical or mental function.

The completed DTC Certificate, Form T2201, must be approved by CRA, and is available on CRA’s website:

Letter from a qualified medical practitioner

Some medical conditions may not meet the stringent conditions to be eligible for the DTC Certificate. In those situations, you should obtain a letter from a qualified medical practitioner, certifying that due to a physical or mental infirmity you are for the near future and will continue to be in need of a full-time attendant or care in a facility.

Nursing home or long-term care facility

You are able to claim 100% of the costs paid to a nursing home or a long-term care facility if you have a CRA-approved DTC Certificate, or a letter from a qualified medical practitioner. Without them, you are unable to claim expenses paid to a nursing home or long-term care facility.

Retirement home

If you have a DTC Certificate, or a letter from a qualified medical practitioner, you are able to claim expenses related to “care by an attendant” paid to the retirement home on your tax return.

There is an exception for retirement home residents who live on a critical care floor in that CRA treats those taxpayers the same as those in a nursing home for tax purposes. Critical care floor residents with a DTC Certificate, or a letter from a qualified medical practitioner, can claim 100% of the total fees paid to the retirement home as medical expenses.

Claiming medical expenses can be confusing, especially considering the sizeable nature of the amounts. CRA also audits medical expense claims often, sometimes numerous years in a row where the amounts claimed are large enough. Consult your tax advisor to determine what you can and cannot claim to maximize your tax savings.

This article was originally published in April 2016. It was updated in July 2021.

More articles

More articles of interest for your personal finances.

Older man on Beach Looking Out

Estate Planning — Some Non-Tax Considerations

We all know that tax planning is an integral part of Estate Planning. From knowing… Read more

word cloud related to retirement and planning for retirement

Why Now is the Time to Start Planning for Retirement

Retirement may seem like a long way off, but if you’re a self-employed professional, planning… Read more

Interior of completely empty house

1% Tax on Vacant and Underused Housing Approved for 2022

Earlier this summer, the government’s Underused Housing Tax Act (UHTA) received Royal Assent. The Act… Read more


Read our recent articles

For your business and personal finances.


2024 Federal Budget Highlights & Commentary

On April 16, 2024, the Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister, the Honourable Chrystia Freeland,… Read more


The Bare Facts on The New Bare Trust Reporting Requirements

BREAKING: Relief for Taxpayers as CRA Cancels Bare Trust Filing Requirements for 2023. CRA announced… Read more


New Reporting Requirements For Trusts

Each tax season brings the enforcement of tax changes announced in the previous year. This… Read more


Let’s Connect

Reach out today to discover the
opportunities behind your numbers

Contact Us